1. Moderator Applications are open! Find out about this, along with a number of other updates, here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a supporter that wants to change your forum name? Just ask an administrator or moderator with a sparkly name!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Beto's been working hard updating the homepage, and has also made a new app for league results! Please check the announcement for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. You can click here to download a zip file conaining WCL and PL standings/schedules. We will update the file once we've managed to gather (if possible) all the data about IL and MKL.
    Dismiss Notice

[3DS] Piranha Plant Slide

Discussion in 'Lightning Cup' started by DannyZhu, Mar 28, 2015.

1. DannyZhu

DannyZhu

• MKBoards Supporter

Optimal combo for this track:
    • Super Heavy weight character
    • Mach 8
    • (Cyber) Slicks
    • Acceleration Glider
    Lap 1:

After the startup boost, do two hops. The directions of these hops don’t really matter, I prefer to do right-left but the world record does left-right. Do a right slide and trick off the ramp as soon as possible while collecting a coin (you can get a low trick on the first few ramps of this track, saves a little bit of time). Land while doing a right slide
    and drive off the rest of the pipe in a straight line. Trick off the second ramp as soon as possible and enter the short underwater section. Right before the third ramp, do a left slide
    and trick off the ramp. Start drifting to the left and charge an mt as soon as you land. Release your mt right here:
    then do one right hop and two right slides. Trick off the fourth ramp as soon as possible and collect the next three coins. Start a drift to the left and release your smt as soon as you're around the corner:
    then do six hops: right-right-left-right-left-right. The last hop has to be right before the boost ramp
    which will send you flying on to the first set of floating blocks.

Blocks and pipes:
    Collect two coins and hop to the left a tiny bit after you land on the first blocks.
    Jump on to the second set of floating blocks and collect two coins. Hop to the left as soon as you land.
    Start a drift to the left and take the left coin on the small pipe. If you missed a coin anywhere in the run, you can take the middle and left coin at the same time. Charge an mt while going tight and release it right before the second pipe:
    and take the coin in the middle to max out in coins.
    Drift to the right and charge an smt. You have to go tight
    because it's very important for the next part coming up.

The pipe:
    This is definitely the hardest part of the track, and it saves a lot of time (I'd say ~.3) when it's done perfectly compared to just regularly sliding off of it. There are two ways to do the pipe:
    (taken from MadSun's 1:58.111)
    The first way is I'd say about .1 faster.
    First of all: the alignment is the most important part. You have to be on the left side of the little dip on the red pipe:
    To make you understand better, here are some examples of where you shouldn't be:
    There is still a chance of getting the pipe perfectly when you're aligned like this, but most of the time you will either get a bunch of slow airtime or a weird alignment for the underwater part.
    Pretty much what you're supposed to do is release your smt and do a left hop right before the pipe goes vertically downward,
    then do another left hop right after the previous hop
    and then do a right hop immediately after
    and you should fly over the ramp.
    When you land, do a right slide, a left slide, and another right slide, and do an up trick off the next ramp as soon as possible. Here is the pipe severely slowed down:
    As you can see, he releases his smt, does a left hop, another left hop and a right hop, flies over the ramp and does a right slide, a left slide and another right slide.
    This is a very hard technique and will take you some time to master. I'm not very consistent at it myself, but when I'm all warmed up I can get it 8/10 times.
    A lot can go wrong while trying this, you can get:
    - A bunch of slow airtime (this happens when you are aligned too far to the right)
    - Very slow hops (this happens when you release your smt too early/late)
    - No airtime at all which will result in you having to trick off the ramp (as far as I know this happens randomly, MadSun did this in his 1:56.635 on lap 1, it's barely slower though)
    The third thing is pretty much the same as the pipe without airtime I showed earlier in the guide.
    The way you're supposed to get that is by doing a left hop, a left slide, and a right slide. Trick off the ramp and do a left and a right slide. This method is way more consistent, but slower ofcourse.

The underwater section:
    Start charging an smt to the left as soon as you land from the trick. Stay very close to the wall, but don't go too tight otherwise you will lose time. Make sure to keep wiggling your stick back and forth to get the smt in time. Release your smt when you're around the turn. Don't release it too early, as you will hit the pipe.
    Do the following hop pattern: right-right-left-right-left, with the last left being a slide. Be careful, these hops have to be very slow because you're underwater and otherwise you will do an accidental slide and lose time. Do two or three neutral hops, depending on when you released your smt. Do a left hop onto the first boost panel and do four hops: right-left-right-left and trick off the glider. Make sure these hops are very quick, you can get a low glider if you hop too slow which will most likely make you fall off.

Ending:
    Land from the glider as early as possible and try to be right in front of the second coin.
    Do a counter drift to the right and a sharp softdrift to the left. Use your shroom right before the grass and keep softdrifting. Stop softdrifting when you're about to leave the grass
    and hold right. This is important for laps 2 and 3. Release your smt as soon as you get it and do the following hop pattern: right-right-left-right-left.

Lap 2 and 3 differences:

After the hop pattern of the last smt, do a right slide and trick off the ramp. Land on the yellow pipe while doing a left slide
    You should be getting some airtime. Land on the red pipe while doing a right slide
    and trick off the ramp.

The smt strat:
    Start softdrifting to the left right before you land, and keep softdrifting the entire time until you land from the ramp. Hold right when you're on the floor and release your smt very close to the white-orange strip:
    Do the following hop pattern: right-right-left-right-left, with the last left being a drift. If you release your smt too late, you can also use this hop pattern: right-right-right-left-left to avoid hitting the wall.

Because you don't have to collect any coins, you can do the hops on the floating blocks as soon as possible, unlike on lap 1 where you had to delay them a little bit.

The water current:
    This water current in the underwater section on lap 3 will push you wide when taking the turn. This will only influence you when you're on 1:58.9-WR pace, which you should be after this guide.
    Take the turn normally. When you're about to hit the water current, drift very tight like you're gonna hit the wall.
    As you can see he went very tight, but he didn't hit the wall because the water current pushed him.
    When the water current pushes you, hold right to avoid hitting the wall afterwards. Slowly start drifting tighter and release your smt like you normally would. Here is an example of what it should look like:
    He starts drifting normally, drifts tight when he's about to hit the water current, and holds right as soon as he hits it.

At the end of lap 3, you can keep softdrifting the entire time during the shortcut, as you don't have to align yourself for anything besides the finish line.

Everything else about lap 2 and 3 is the same.

awtkenny, Reverse, Cynda and 13 others like this.
  2. DannyZhu

DannyZhu

• MKBoards Supporter
    I finished the guide, if there are any questions feel free to ask them and I will try to help you out the best I can.

3. MattGD

MattGD

• MKBoards Supporter
    Nice guide, Danny! Thanks for the help, as this is my favorite track. :)

DannyZhu likes this.
  4. DannyZhu

DannyZhu

• MKBoards Supporter
    thanks, and no problem!

MattGD likes this.
  5. Storm

Storm

Team:
    Coastline
    well done

6. DannyZhu

DannyZhu

• MKBoards Supporter
    thank you

7. JDash

JDash

Team:
    Phantom Thieves
    Nice guide Mr. Zhu!

8. DannyZhu

DannyZhu

• MKBoards Supporter
    thanks jyrell !

9. Miles

Miles

very good guide dan :)

10. DannyZhu

DannyZhu

• MKBoards Supporter
    thanksmiriam;)

Luso likes this.
  11. Dinostraw

Dinostraw

Team:
    Nice guide; I have a question though. For the pipe that leads into the underwater section, no matter what, if I hop instead of slide, it always slows me down. Any suggestions?

12. Tzuzu

Tzuzu Like late summer they slowly fade away MKU Staff

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    • MKU Staff
    Team:
    You do slides, not hops

13. Dinostraw

Dinostraw

Team:
    That's what I thought, but the guide says hop. Is it a typo or am I missing something?

14. Tzuzu

Tzuzu Like late summer they slowly fade away MKU Staff

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    • MKU Staff
    Team:
    must be a typo i'm assuming?

15. Dinostraw

Dinostraw

Team:
    Ok, I'll wait 'til Danny replies, for now, thanks ;)

16. Jamie

Jamie You're Lousy

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    The guide says hopping as it's meant to. If you watch the WR run, you'll notice they hop instead of slide down the pipe. I'm not an expert on this track, but from what I can tell, if your positioning on the pipe is bad and if you start hopping too early or late, you will get slowed down with hops. If you've only just got to learning the track, I'd recommend doing slides down that section (I still do slides, never managed to do hops).

17. Dinostraw

Dinostraw

Team:
    Thanks for the advice, I can sometimes randomly fly over the trick ramp even with slides, but that's random for me. I'll try to sub 2:00 before learning the hops. It's probably my positioning being god awful, I'm always all over the place on this track. I'll probably learn in time like I did with rWS. Thanks again for the advice ;)

18. Tyler

Tyler

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    Team:
    NY
    no they're hops, but they need to be perfectly timed or they will slow you down

19. DannyZhu

DannyZhu

• MKBoards Supporter
    Sorry for not replying, I'm on vacation rn and I just saw what you said but Jamie and Tyler pretty much already explained everything.

20. Dinostraw

Dinostraw

Team:
    Alright no problem, have fun.

21. Ansgar

Ansgar

Team:
    RU
    Don't you do a left slide onto the very first ramp in lap 1? And what do you mean with "stay very close to the wall, but dont go too tight"?

22. DannyZhu

DannyZhu

• MKBoards Supporter
    direction of the slide doesn't really matter, it depends on whether you do left-right or right-left at the beginning, and i mean that you're not supposed to hit the wall

Ansgar likes this.
  23. Ansgar

Ansgar

Team:
    RU
    alright, ty

24. Sergeant Guy

Sergeant Guy

Team:
    not svc
    Just want to add a quick precision, on the 2nd ramp (the one leading into the small water section) and on the underwater ramp, you must not neutral trick: do a forward trick.

The reason for this is because when you do a neutral trick, the boost is used right away, basically rendered useless. However when you forward trick, the game waits until you land underwater to give you the trick boost.

This results in a way stronger slide underwater for the 1st one and a bigger drift boost upon landing on the underwater one. You gain .1 over neutral tricking each time, which adds up to a whooping .6 overall

25. MattGD

MattGD

• MKBoards Supporter
    stop spamming the guides :john: