1. Are you a supporter that wants to change your forum name? Just ask an administrator or moderator with a sparkly name!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Beto's been working hard updating the homepage, and has also made a new app for league results! Please check the announcement for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing NAT settings (Switch/Phone data)

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Dragmirejr, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Dragmirejr

Dragmirejr Always keep an open mind! Staff Member MKU Staff

• Global Moderator
    • MKBoards Supporter
    • MKU Staff
    Team:
    Arcadia
    Hello, since this may be relevant if I ever am in a place with bad wifi ever again, I am wondering if anyone has any good solutions to changing NAT type when connecting my switch to my phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) and using 4G. This seem to be the reason I can't connect to other players rn and I would love it if anyone had a solution to this problem.

Thanks in advance if someone is godlike.

2. Rollergold

Rollergold Rosa Boi Staff Member

• Administrator
    • MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    Team:
    Unity
    I have basically the same up here with Bell in Canada. looking at the problem online, some say you need a VPN, some mention getting a static IP from your carrier and an AT&T employee says you need to teather a laptop to the hotspot and then share the connection though the laptop
    https://forums.att.com/t5/Phone-Device-Upgrades/Open-Nat-Type-On-Phone-Hotspot/td-p/4976507

3. Dragmirejr

Dragmirejr Always keep an open mind! Staff Member MKU Staff

• Global Moderator
    • MKBoards Supporter
    • MKU Staff
    Team:
    Arcadia
    ya okay, seems like there are no good and easy ways of making a good connection then, but defo something to look into if I ever have to play MKU without wifi ever again :p

Thanks for the help anyways :inlove:

4. BetoMan

BetoMan Professional c dio boia supporter Staff Member

• Administrator
    • MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    Team:
    Battle Alliance
    Switch FC:
    4789-3857-0475
    Wiimmfi FC:
    1593 3944 9650
    Providers use nat so that they can spread a bigger number of IPs to the customers usimg shared ips an NOT static ips. If you want to solve this problem you should ask your isp to give you a static ip but I don't think they will at all. You have to use a vpn service to avoid port forwarding of your isp and so on but that's not really easy if you haven't a lot of experience. Anyway you can look at https://airvpn.org/ which is a good solution

Dragmirejr likes this.