1. Are you a supporter that wants to change your forum name? Just ask an administrator or moderator with a sparkly name!
    Dismiss Notice

[Guide] How to run multiple Discord windows simultaneously

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Futile, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Futile

Futile

• Founding Member
    Hi! Today I was looking into being able to control multiple Discord accounts at the same time, so I didn't have to switch between my public and private accounts. I managed to find a really useful guide on Reddit that explains how, and since it is much more complicated than running multiple windows with Skype, I decided to write this guide that expands on the guide on Reddit and includes screenshots as well, in case it would help others.

Original Guide (credits to LPC_Sparc on Reddit, the guide is the first response on the page.): https://www.reddit.com/r/discordapp/comments/3kz6fr/possible_to_open_two_copies_of_discord/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Disclaimer: For this guide, I use a computer with Windows 7. Some steps may be different on Mac computers or computers with different versions of Windows.

*Second Disclaimer: This guide has a lot of pictures so as to be as elaborate and explanatory as possible. I apologize if this causes lag.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 1: Creating the secondary user

The first thing you want to do is create a new user on your computer. You can do this by going into the start menu and typing "User" into the search bar, and clicking on the option listed as "User Accounts."

Once you click on that, you will be brought to a screen that looks like this:

You want to click on "Manage another account." As seen by the icon, you need administrator privileges to go further.

Click on "Create a new account", name the account whatever you want, and make sure to give it the "Administrator" role. This will be necessary later. For simplicity sake, I would recommend naming this user "Discord".

Once you have done that, you want to double click on the new user you have just created, and click the option that says "Create a password". (Since I already have the user, it says "Change the password", but yours will say "Create a password".) Make sure you pick a password that you will remember, as it will become very important later!

Part 2: Setting up the secondary Discord

Once the user process is finished, you want to locate the folder that the "Discord" folder and all of its contents is located in. For me, the original folder was located in "<drive>:/Users/<windows username>/AppData/Local", but it may be in a different place for you. Where the original file is should have no effect on the outcome of this.

Once you have located the folder titled "Discord" (whether it is in this directory or not, it doesn't really matter), you want to Copy the entire folder.

Once you have done that, you want to navigate to another directory to keep the folder in. I would recommend a directory where a lot of other programs are housed so it doesn't get lost. Personally I use "<drive>:/Program Files (x86)". Simply paste the folder into the directory.

Next, you want to locate the Discord Application in the original directory (the one you originally got the folder from). It should be inside of the "Discord" folder, in another folder titled "app-0.0.296".

Once you have located it, you want to right click on the Application and click "Properties", and make sure that next to where it says "Start in:", it says the path where the Application is located.

Once you have verified that, you want to create a shortcut of the Application, and paste it into the second directory you created earlier.

Once you have done that, you want to right click the Shortcut and click "Properties" once more. Next to where it says "Start in:" it will say the file path for the original application. You want to change this to the new file path. In my case, I would change the text to say "<drive>:\Program Files (x86)\Discord\app-0.0.296", but you would want to change this to match the directory the new Application is in.

Once you have completed that, the hard part is over.

Part 3: Getting the secondary Discord running

You want to hold Shift and Right Click inside of the folder with the new Shortcut, and click "Open command window here".

The command window will pop-up, and once it does, you want to type in this command, replacing <new user> with whatever you named said new user earlier in the guide, but without the arrows. The quotes are included:

runas /user:<new user> "update.exe -processStart discord.exe"

In my case, it will look like this: runas /user:discord "update.exe -processStart discord.exe"

Make sure to capitalize the "S" in "Start", as it is case sensitive.

Once you have typed in the command, it will prompt you to enter the password. This is the password for the user you created earlier. While you are typing it, it won't show the text, so make sure you type it correctly. After you type it, simply hit enter.

When you have done that, it will load up Discord. You don't have to do anything else inside of the command prompt.

You now have a second copy of Discord up and running! That's pretty much all there is to it, but in the next post I will explain a simpler way to load up Discord without having to type in the command from earlier every time. It is of course optional, but I highly recommend doing it to save some time.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  2. Futile

Futile

• Founding Member
    Part 4: The optional but highly recommended step

To avoid having to type in the command every time you want to load up your second copy, there is a simple step you can take that will effectively type in the command for you.

The first thing you want to do is load up Notepad from the "Start" menu, or wherever else you keep it. If you don't have Notepad, I would suggest downloading it, since its simple and can be useful for many ways aside from just this.

Once you have loaded it up, you want to copy and paste the command into the notepad, making sure to replace "<user>" with whatever you called the user you created earlier:

runas /user:<user> "update.exe -processStart discord.exe"

Once you've done that, you want to hit "File" then "Save As".

Personally, I would name it something that is easily recognizable. Since I use it to start the copy of Discord, I named mind "startup", but you can name it whatever. Do not hit save quite yet.

At the end of whatever you name it, type ".bat" so it creates a Batch file. When you do this, make sure you save it as "All Files" instead of ".txt." in the bottom menu.

Save this file into the folder with the second copy of Discord that you will be running with the new user. You will possibly need administrator privileges to save it here, which is why I said to give the new user the Admin role earlier.

When it is saved, simply double click on it, and it will open up the command window with the command already input.

It will still prompt you to enter the password every time, and there is probably a way around that, but I have no knowledge if there is. However, it will save you a lot of time, since you don't have to look up the command whenever you want to load the second copy.

This is completely optional, but I would highly recommend it, as it is very easy and will save you a lot of time in the long run.

And that's it! I hope this guide can help some people, especially if you want to have multiple accounts on Discord for different games, groups of people, online gaming/talking to irl friends, etc. Let me know if I made any mistakes, or just comment here if you have any questions!

Thanks for reading!

3. Futile

Futile

• Founding Member
    Completed the guide!

Will likely put the images in spoilers later, but for now I'll leave it as is. Huge credit goes to the original guide, which is where I figured out how to do it, and I used a lot of what he said while expanding on it and including screenshots. Make sure to comment if you have questions or if I screwed up anywhere :eek:

Jazz likes this.
  4. ~Maidvelia❤~

~Maidvelia❤~ Progressive Regime 2018 Media Staff

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    • Media Staff
    Team:
    U★ | νκ
    Wiimmfi FC:
    4297-4674-3102
    Why can't Discord use "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Discord\app-#.#.###\Discord.exe" /secondary in the "Target:" properties of a shortcut icon, like how Skype can use "C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /secondary?

Come on Hammer & Chisel, you're supposed to trump Skype in *every* aspect.

Good guide btw.

Futile likes this.
  5. Futile

Futile

• Founding Member
    I tried the /secondary thing at first, no results

Was hoping it would be that easy :p

6. ~Maidvelia❤~

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    • Media Staff
    Team:
    U★ | νκ
    Wiimmfi FC:
    4297-4674-3102
    I can run multiple windows at the same time now, just using a Quick Launch shortcut.

The devs must have changed something.

7. Futile

Futile

• Founding Member
    There have been a fair amount of recent updates (just without the normal popup thing saying what has changed) so they probably decided to let people run multiple windows as simple as it was on Skype. Not surprised they ended up doing this eventually.

~Maidvelia❤~ likes this.
  8. Robert Wood

Robert Wood

that is one way to do that, another way is you can run the second instance with the help of a program Called Sandboxie

what I did was installed Discord Directly to my computer, I log into discord that way making it the first instance

next I right click discord on my desktop and click "Run Sandboxed" I choose the Default Sandbox then click OK

and Presto, the Second instance Runs

it's Zero configuration, and it's so Easy a Pet Rock can do it

Futile likes this.
  9. Jon Snow

Jon Snow

Why does it say this?

10. Jon Snow

Jon Snow

C:\Program Files\Discord\app-0.0.296>runas /user:cyka "update.exe -processStart discord.exe"
    Enter the password for cyka:
    Attempting to start update.exe -processStart discord.exe as user "JONSNOW\cyka" ...
    RUNAS ERROR: Unable to run - update.exe -processStart discord.exe
    2: The system cannot find the file specified.

11. Futile

Futile

• Founding Member
    For some reason it doesn't know how to update on the second window, whenever I try loading it the update fails, making this entire thing null and void basically unless there's a way around it :p

12. Volcanic163

Volcanic163

Whenever I try to apply the changes in Step 2, I get the following Error message:

"The folder 'C:\Program Files (86x)\Discord\app-0.0.297\Discord.exe' specified in the Start in box is not valid. Make sure that the folder exists and that the path is correct."

Every time, I get the same message, no matter what I try to name it. Can you help me?

13. ~Maidvelia❤~

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    • Media Staff
    Team:
    U★ | νκ
    Wiimmfi FC:
    4297-4674-3102
    *x86

It should be in C:\Users\-username-\AppData\Local\Discord\app-0.0297

14. feb199

feb199

rename update.exe to update1.exe go into run.bat and change it to this
    Change [username] to account username.

runas /user:[username] "update1.exe -processStart discord.exe"

Futile likes this.
  15. Ryan's

Ryan's 's Staff Member Media Staff

• Global Moderator
    • Founding Member
    • Media Staff
    Team:
    Free agent soon
    Running public beta test version and regular discord also works . . .