1. Are you a supporter that wants to change your forum name? Just ask an administrator or moderator with a sparkly name!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Beto's been working hard updating the homepage, and has also made a new app for league results! Please check the announcement for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. You can click here to download a zip file conaining WCL and PL standings/schedules. We will update the file once we've managed to gather (if possible) all the data about IL and MKL.
    Dismiss Notice

New It's Time

Discussion in 'Help, Information, & News' started by ~Maidvelia❤~, Dec 22, 2016.

1. ~Maidvelia❤~

~Maidvelia❤~ Red Like Roses WL Staff

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    • WL Staff
    Team:
    U★, GE
    Wiimmfi FC:
    4297-4674-3102
    Hello everyone.

Most of you know me, name's KD for those that don't.

After the shutdown, Wiimmfi was very handicapped. There was no way for the community to have a league with the limited functionality of the server (and the server also crashed a lot back then). Those of you who were around know exactly what I am talking about. Those that do not: You had to play a Worldwide VS Race or Battle with everyone that was going to be in the war, or else they would not show up on your friend roster. This was very time consuming.

Then Debilitate figured out a way to speed up this process. If someone that already had a bunch of people added in the war opened a room, the host could just use the "Register" button with all of them. After that, the real host of the war could open the room. This was coined the "Middle Man" strat, which Avail got the credit for somehow.

Sometime after this, adding friends was fixed, but another bug was introduced into the friend roster once the OPENHOST feature we all know today, came about. The host had to remain online for everyone in the war. If they went offline, everyone would have to readd his friend code. This bug was also eventually fixed. OPENHOST never got widely utilized until December 2014 when Chrome made his OPENHOST tutorial.

The server now had the functionality for a league to potentially flourish. Prior to this, I had stopped every single attempt at a league until the server was no longer gimped. I did not want anything to cause the impression of the post-shutdown community to look like even more of a joke. It was time for the next league to be made.
    I founded the Custom Server League in Fall 2014 with Viraith and Chrome. Back then the main site for Wiimmfi activity was wiimmfi.net, a phpBB3 forum by Essa. After he could not pay for the domain name renewal, the site was shut down. After that, a forumotion forum which you all know as wiimmfi.forumotion.com came about. Chrome, Viraith, Alpha, Leon, and I spent hours working on it until we had a final product. When the site was ready for launch, we opened up registrations for the very first league "season" after shut down, CSL's Pre-Season. Registration back then was like the way IL had it. It was a great time to be alive, we were very proud of how far we have gotten in the span of about a month. The league's first ruleset revision was very similar to IL's though and shared most of IL's problems. The differences were the Default War Size was 4v4 and we had allowed non-malicious game modifications at the time, all the way up until the end of Season 2, as we weren't aware just how dangerous the My Stuff folder was.

After Pre-Season started, Chrome and I did a lot of shoutcasts of matches on twitch.tv/wiimmfiforum. We did it to give the league exposure. The casts got a lot of views, peaking to 50+ viewers at one point. The exposure worked, as we were able to add another division for Season 1.

Once we entered Season 1, Chrome and I thought of a more simple way of doing registrations (a way we could see every player at once). We then came up with using Google Sheets for that. The first registry was nowhere near as extensive as the one you see today, but it started the "Spreadsheet Era". Over the course of Season 1, news about the league spread rapidly.

As we approached Season 2, I had a talk with MKB staff about potentially allowing CSL on MKBoards. The proposal was accepted. This was a major feat as MKW was not looked upon too highly on here at the time. It took a long time for the consideration of proper Team sections, etc. for post-shutdown MKW, to be created. For conditionals, Chrome and I thought of a way for them to be done without having to show any kind of startup. The concept of Confirmed Conditionals saw its inception in this season and it was very successful. At the end of Season 2, specifically March 2015, a lot of notable individuals and clans started popping up such as Eirik, Troy, Sagar, Sphinx, Larry, among others.

During the next season we determined we were ready to set the Default War Size back to 5v5. Entering Season 3, there was major backlash against Chrome being a head position in staff. His resourcefulness was ignored for his hacking past, which is understandable but at the same time was pretty harsh if you think about it. Also during week 1 of Season 2, a certain situation happened in Zy vs. KG that got another of the heads in big trouble. Certain individuals were fed up with the shenanigans and tried to force a new staff body in, effectively a coup de tat. After some reasoning with them, our original staff body and vision was able to remain intact and we picked up a few additional assets. Confirmed Conditionals were scrapped once we decided My Stuff was too dangerous. The ruleset got a major makeover and we removed most of the problems the IL ruleset had. Eirik proposed the Masters Series format (8-team division + Best of 3 Playoffs for the top 4 teams) and Invitational Championships, both of which have never been done before in MKW's history. I was always willing to try new things, so I backed the idea. The Invitational Championships never happened, but the Masters Division was interesting, and shoutcasting finally returned briefly for this season. One of the highlights for casts during this season was Zy vs. in.

Season 4 carried the 8-team division format + Best of 3 Playoffs into Divisions 1 and 2. FU got cheesed out of a 7-0 due to playoffs and stopped playing for awhile, all the way until Season 7. Forever Onward threw semi-finals in Division 2. I had assumed a more "behind the scenes" role on staff and Matt stepped up as League Admin. The big thing that came out of Season 4, however, was the Custom Track Division. As an avid Custom Tracks player who saw the Custom Track warring scene nearly diminish in 2014, the opportunity for Custom Tracks to grow was too good to pass up. Fortunately, a majority of the community was in agreement to try it out and the rest is history.

The next season Matt quit, so Viraith and I were appointed as League Admin and co-League Admin. Viraith did not stay in that position the whole season though, leaving only me. Season 5 was the worst season of the league's history. CTGP got a bunch of new features that came out mid-season and the council did not have the time to come up with a bunch of penalty values for each setting. We made an umbrella penalty of -150 which ruined matches for nearly every division, especially Divison 3. This season was also when Global Conditionals came about because physical prizes were on the line. There were quite a few mishaps with the Global Conditionals process, which resulted in even more penalties. Confirmed Conditionals returned as a way for disc users to do their conditionals, as we came to the conclusion that Gecko Codes were more of a threat and easier to use than malicious modifications in My Stuff. Adding onto that, the bagging metagame was completely changed midseason to a format no one was ready for: No Overlap. The council had figured it would reduce all the penalties we were seeing from suicide bagging matches, but the reality was No Overlap resulted in even more penalties. Also shoutcasts only happened for about a quarter of the season then died out. The season became known as Penalty Kart Wii. The prizes also had a long delay before being successfully delivered, so people felt they were scammed. A new league was almost made from how terrible the turnout of this season was.

Season 6 kept Global Conditionals and Confirmed Conditionals as a majority wanted them because they liked the security they provided. A new division format was introduced in this format and continues to be popular to this day: 6-team divisions + Best of 3 playoffs for the top 3 teams, first place in the regular season getting an automatic bye to Finals. Council came to the conclusion that objectivity in suicide bagging led to way more problems than solutions. Trolling's definition changed from "any contact" like it was in Season 5 to "having a negative effect on the racer". Suicide bagging returned as the default ruleset for bagging since No Overlap turned out to be a bust. The Division 1 finals were the highlight here, as decisions kept going back and forth between which team should win as a result of someone not doing conditionals properly.

Charged Brigade opted out of Season 7 due to the conclusion of the Season 6 Division 1 finals, among other things. During Season 7 the league moved from Skype to Discord, which influenced many other groups and clans to do the same. Discord had so much more potential than Skype due to the ability to create multiple places to chat, all connected in one central area (a server). Skype chats were always separate from each other and easy to get lost. In addition to that, Skype had lag and numerous other problems. Season 7 began the removal of Global Conditionals. We had went back to a Conditionals List format because Confirmed Conditionals had been bypassed and Global Conditionals would be too impractical to have in place without Confirmed Conditionals or a form of conditionals where no start-up is shown. During Season 7 I was frustrated at a few staff decisions and one of my vents was made public. This caused a massive uproar and my credibility as a League Admin was lost. Stunky proposed the Managers format you see today, to take all the responsibilities a League Admin has, and distribute them among several people. I loved the idea, as I was getting majorly stressed out (family issues, and the role as League Admin being way too much to handle at the time). I was given CT Council Manager. For this season, managers were relatively a success despite the Division Admins not having one.

Season 8 was the golden season. To finally wipe away the stigma from seasons 5 and 6, the staff put forth a rebrand to the "Wiimmfi League" and a promise of much higher standards. The work was extensive as hell, as we went through a bunch of meetings, new graphics, new staff, and the establishment of staff guidelines and protocols (something I wanted in season 7, but we never had time for). We were determined to knock this one out of the park. We succeeded, with only minor problems coming out of the season in comparison to previous seasons. Hopefully the Division 1 Finals are played soon... The rest is history.

Season 9 we can expect a Kart Division or two, something never attempted before in any league apart from MKL. A Custom Tracks league was attempted before by Nato, known as the CTL. There never was, to my knowledge, any other league for karts only in the game's history.

I'm stepping down from WL staff, entirely.

I know it may look bad for a founder to leave what they founded, but let us look at the facts:

I have been working my butt off since pre-season.
    I have seen the highest highs and lowest lows in the league's history (this can take a toll on you).
    I have an unstable family.
    My planned major is no longer guaranteed to me (the college stopped offering the program, who knows what else is next?).
    My main clan is going through major changes that I have to be there for.

I have become washed up and burnt out. My passion and vigor for the league is no longer what it once was. I no longer have the confidence and tenacity I had in previous seasons (where I was willing to tackle anything that comes at me). I no longer have the work ethic to grind things for 10 hours straight, something I used to be able to do happily.

I knew this was going to happen eventually. This is not the fault of anyone on staff, this is not a call-out thread. We cannot keep going on forever with something. We eventually need to take a step back, to recharge and to recuperate. After a long period of thinking and contemplating, I came to the realization that it was time for me to resign.

Does this mean I'll be gone forever? It depends. Right now, I feel like I am becoming a liability to the league as my passion fizzles out more and more. I need a break, time for a recharge. I want to be able to recover the confidence and work ethic I once had on staff. I want to be able to return as an asset. This could take a month (unlikely), or it could take more than a year, I am not entirely sure right now.

I will still be continuing on with my other staff roles (Global Moderator, Media Staff), but I am throwing in the towel on WL Staff.

I am extremely proud of what was able to be accomplished during my time on staff. CSL/WL inspired a period of innovation and eagerness to try new things that was never seen before in the game's history. The following new things came out of the league:
    • Spreadsheet Registration
    • Confirmed Conditionals (CCs)
    • Masters Series Format
    • Custom Track Divisions
    • Global Conditionals (GCs)
    • Verified ISOs (these never were kept in place because it was decided they would be too impractical)
    • Physical Prizes
    • No Overlap Bagging Ruleset
    • Season 6 Playoffs Format
    • The utilization of Discord instead of Skype
    • Managers instead of League Admins
    • Mutual Engine Class Agreement (Custom Tracks, later All Tracks)
    • Minimum Division Ratings
    • Mutual Thunder Cloud Autofire Agreement (Custom Tracks)
    The community has had a history of being very stagnant, not accepting much change (which is understandable in some ways, but in other ways it greatly inhibits growth). Whether some of these things were good or bad in your eyes, they were new, and have helped us break through the boundaries we had placed on ourselves prior to the shutdown.

Whether you dislike me or like me, thank you all for everything and providing me the opportunity to be the staff of something that was able to impact the community in such a large way. I could not even fathom the idea of me being a League Admin or a founder of a league a few years ago. It's amazing what someone can accomplish when they put their mind to it.

The "Era of KD" has reached its closure.

Ding dong, the maid is dead.

J Is for Jay, Spart, Zesti and 46 others like this.
  2. Skitty

Skitty WL Staff

• WL Staff
    Team:
    Resurrection
    You will be missed, that's for sure.

twingy and Aditya~ like this.
  3. Kiltron

Kiltron The Great

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    Team:
    Forever Onward
  4. Maq

Maq YEAH Staff Member

• Global Moderator
    • MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    Team:
    Debilitate
    Thanks for all your hard work KD. Really a role-model worker for all players and other staff members.

Boom, MZ, Rush and 1 other person like this.
  5. Aditya~

Aditya~

Team:
    DM
    Wiimmfi FC:
    0861-6009-1404
    Completely agree with @Maq, can easily say that you've contributed the most to this community/league than anybody else has. Hard to find people with your motivation and passion nowadays.

Completely respect your decision too, and I wish you good luck with everything else you decide to do, let it be MKW-related or not! :cat:

Ash, Emblem, Rush and 1 other person like this.
  6. mine

mine The libero

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    You deserve a break, thanks for all you've done~

Aditya~ and twingy like this.
  7. Hawk

Hawk

• Founding Member
    O_O!!!

xSpade24 and c like this.
  8. Rush

Rush Global Moderator Staff Member WL Staff

• Global Moderator
    • MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    • WL Staff
    Team:
    Untouchables
    It was a pleasure working with you for my first season on staff. GL my dude!

9. Fruitz

Fruitz never lucky.

• MKBoards Supporter
    Thanks for everything, and being one of the people who got me interested in being on CT Council in the first place. Good Luck in whatever comes your way in life. :)

~Maidvelia❤~ likes this.
  10. Emblem

Emblem

• MKBoards Supporter
    Team:
    Astrophile

xSpade24 likes this.
  11. iDaylon

iDaylon サイコパス

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    GGs KD. GL on getting everything situated and if you do happen to return, hopefully you'll be better than you ever were.

~Maidvelia❤~ likes this.
  12. ★Shadow

★Shadow

Team:
    n/a
    Gg KD. The work you have put in will be remembered.

13. twingy

twingy

• Founding Member
    Really sucks youre letting go of WL<3 Hope someone else can do the same amount of great work as you did!

14. Klyne

Klyne No Dodge, No Points

• MKBoards Supporter
    Team:
    Moonblast
    Thanks KD :*

15. Kyon

Kyon

• Founding Member
    good meme astounding meme exquisite meme fantastic meme beautiful meme perfect meme overwhelming meme a meme that deserves an ovation great meme good job on the meme bro a meme with a nice scent nice meme superior meme a meme with STYLE

c, Emblem, ace and 3 others like this.
  16. Effect

Effect

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    As much as everyone can make fun of you and joke about you, everyone should really be thankful for what you've done for the community and what you have accomplished for this community.

Thank you KD.

Emblem and ~Maidvelia❤~ like this.
  17. Boom

Boom

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    Team:
    Debilitate
    Sure I and a lot of other people in the community had their opinions and differences on you (at certain times), but if no one in this community respects and has zero appreciation for what you did, they're simply idiotic.

Thanks KD, you've done a lot.

Emblem, Nemesis, MZ and 4 others like this.
  18. MZ

MZ WL Staff

• WL Staff
    Team:
    FL
    This community would not be nearly as big as it is now without you being at the helm throughout Wiimmfi. Thank you KD, from the bottom of my heart. You made this community grow like no one else ever could. Hopefully it will continue to be successful in your absence.

~Maidvelia❤~ likes this.
  19. King

King

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    Whether or not people liked how you ran things it can't be argued that very few have your level of dedication, thanks for the hard work and gg my dude

~Maidvelia❤~ likes this.
  20. Rush

Rush Global Moderator Staff Member WL Staff

• Global Moderator
    • MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    • WL Staff
    Team:
    Untouchables
    KD is still in the community, He's just stepping down from WL staff.

Ash, Jazz and MZ like this.
  21. MZ

MZ WL Staff

• WL Staff
    Team:
    FL
    I'm very aware. I see that I misworded a few things. I more meant to say that the community will continue to thrive even though he is no longer the leader of it.

~Maidvelia❤~ likes this.
  22. Sane

Sane Staff Member WL Staff

• Global Moderator
    • MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    • WL Staff
    Team:
    Untouchables
    nice this is like in winter soldier when nick fury got shot...
    thank you kd for all you've done pal

Rush likes this.
  23. Apolo

Apolo

Team:
    ML❤️
    Thanks for everything you've done for (ML &) WL, huge respects my daisy whore :*

~Maidvelia❤~ and Aditya~ like this.
  24. Hikaru

Hikaru

• Founding Member

25. K1NG

K1NG

Team:
    G4L | GUN