1. Moderator Applications are open! Find out about this, along with a number of other updates, here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a supporter that wants to change your forum name? Just ask an administrator or moderator with a sparkly name!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Beto's been working hard updating the homepage, and has also made a new app for league results! Please check the announcement for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. You can click here to download a zip file conaining WCL and PL standings/schedules. We will update the file once we've managed to gather (if possible) all the data about IL and MKL.
    Dismiss Notice

Sweet Sweet Canyon

Discussion in 'Mushroom Cup' started by Domenico, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Domenico

Domenico

Hello all. I'll try to give some tips and all thing you should know for get a good time here.
    This track is pretty precise, tight turns are the best thing to do, expecially in some important turn where charge the SMT. This track can be learned easier, you won't need a lot for get a good time as on GBA Mario Circuit.
    Before starting, lately we find out that old coinstrat (going wide for the first two coins) is faster than new (now old, where you take the tight first two coins). How is possible that we find out only now that old coinstrat is better? Well, with the added of a slide (shoutout to K4I) before SMT we can get faster and a better angle too. Plus, my hop-sequence is better than Diogo's (where he use the SMT later and go wider for do left-right-left-right-left hops) by .050.
    Best combo: Bowser/Wario/Morton/Heavy Mii - Blue Falcon - Slicks/Cyber slicks - Accel glider
    Well, the hitbox is ideal here for Blue Falcon, and the most important thing is his enourm gain on anti-gravity part. I can say that Blue Falcon is .5 faster than Pipe Frame.

Of course, let's start with lap 1.

Initial part:
    After "Go!" do two hops, right-left, trying to stay as far as possible for the lateral dirt. Then do three slides, right-left-right, and start drifting then charge a MT.

After do a short slide and charge a SMT softdrifting all the time for a better angle and aim for the two wide coins.

After used it do five hops, right-left-left-neutral-right. With this last hop you have to land on the far part of "platform", for get a fast glider. Remember, here you don't must trick, it's slower.

Cannon & before anti-gravity part:
    Put you pad on "high-right" (north-east) on cannon, for get better lines for the next turn.
    After landing, initially put you pad in the other direction of turn, then keep it neutral when the turn is starting. Keeping the pad neutral is faster for a question of traction. You can correct your lines touching the pad in the other direction of turn, but less time you hit the pad, faster the turn will be.
    This part allow a little bit of offroad, indeed, you can touch the dirt with the two rear route, but you can't touch it with front's route.

When you join in the water-part, start keeping the pad on left and use SMT doing five hops, left-right-left-right-left. With last hop, you have to land at initial part of platform-trick, and trick as soon as possible for a boosted trick, which is .030 faster (+-).

Anti-gravity
    After tricking don't do nuetral hops or slides, just go for the two coins and start drifting before last one.
    Meanwhile you drift, put you pad on right until you use the MT. Use the MT as soon as possible you finish the turn and do a neutral hop (important, here you don't must slide, because it's slower) then start softdrifting on the right taking, of course, the turn as tight as possible. Use the SMT when you have charged it, as soon as possible and do two left slides then drift aiming for the coin. After took the coin put you pad on the right and use the MT.
    After MT do a neutral hop (as for the other part, slide after MT is slower) and do three slides, right-left-left (This is one of the hardest part, don't worry if you can't do it properly, you will learn it). Trick as soon as you are on the feet of the ramp.

Final part:
    Start softdrifting one-two frames before you land, of course aiming for the two coins. Once you got the MT put you pad on the right for a better SC-angle. After MT, depending from you angle, you can do two slides or three.
    Three slides: if meanwhile you use the MT you are enough far for lateral dirt, and you have an angle for go wider, you can aim for three slides, left-left-right.

Two slides: Instead of left-left-right, you can do left-left, which is easier and .020-.035 slower.

After three (or two) slides, drift, going wide or not depending from your angle, it's useless to explain because is a natural thing ahah. Use the shroom before the white thing or even closer to dirt.
    During shroom, of course, go as tight as possible and don't trick on ramp, is faster keeping the SMT and using it after the ramp. When you are right on ramp, put your pad on left, for a better angle and getting closer to next turn. Once landed use the SMT doing five hops, right-right-left-right-left and then three slides, right-left-right.

What is different on lap 2:
    There are some important differences here. Take the missing to coins before cannon using SMT then do five hops, right-left-right-left-right, with this last hop you have to land far from feet of platform for get a fast glider, as in every lap.

Put your pad on left meanwhile all the kart joined in water and use your SMT here, aiming for the other route.
    Then do five hops, left-left-right-right-left and trick once you land, with last hop, on platform. Right after landing, start drifting, then put your pad on the left, taking a coin, then once you are in the middle of lettle turn, put your pad on right and use MT right after you finish the turn. Do a neutral hop and softdrift trying to go as tight as possible all the turn and getting SMT really fast. Use SMT and do two left slides and drift going as wide as possible without caring about the coin. Go initially tight, then put you pad on left and use MT.
    Then do a neutral hop and slides, left-right-left-right-left-left, then trick as soon as possible.
    With angle, you should easily be able to do three slides after MT, left-left-right.

What is different on lap 3:
    Last part is pretty different. After last MT of lap, do two slides (not three) and softdrift on SC as well as possible, trying to get and using SMT before ramp without tricking. Lately, I find out that just using SMT is faster than hopping before ramp due to his land's boost. Once landed you right-left-right-left hops.

This track has had a lot of little strats, go find here how this track is changed during those first year of MK8:
    http://mkwrs.com/mk8/display.php?track=Sweet Sweet Canyon

Actually WR in this track. 1:48.384 from Victor, congratulation to him:

My PR, which is no-wheel best known time. 1:48.392

I hope I can help you guys getting atleast a 1:50 low. Every ask will be replied from me.​

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    DannyZhu, Kyoto, Vinikun and 9 others like this.
  2. MattGD

MattGD

• MKBoards Supporter
    Great guide, @Domenico ! I just have one question: at the end of the blue path lap 2, to get the low trick, what timing should you use? Should you trick early, or late? Thanks. :)

Domenico likes this.
  3. Domenico

Domenico

Hello. First of all, thank you! ^^
    Well, trick as soon as possible, sometimes you will get high trick even doing this but don't worry, it happens due to angle with the ramp.

4. Dread

Dread

I've been playing Sweet Sweet Canyon this week after a long break, haven't played it seriously ever since I had WW tops for a few weeks back in October. Thanks for taking your time to help others getting better at it. Hopefully I can get a mid or low 01:49 with the help of this in-depth guide. :)

Domenico likes this.
  5. Domenico

Domenico

I remember you in top 10 WW, ye. Thank you and good luck, I'll be here for asks. :)

Pedro__, Ridge and Dread like this.
  6. Jack.

Jack.

• MKBoards Supporter
    Team:
    Carnage
    Jesus you know exactly what your talking about! Amazing guide Domenico! :D

Domenico likes this.
  7. Emilia

Emilia Inspirational Quote

• MKBoards Supporter
    Thank you Domenico, this helped a lot to read :) Subbing to 1:49 should be easy now when keeping these things in mind.

Domenico likes this.
  8. JoeHDG

JoeHDG

Team:
    ώƒ
    Switch FC:
    3807-5030-5524
    great guide domenio this really helped me understand ssc especially that part about the low ramps I didn't even know they existed lol

9. Sergeant Guy

Sergeant Guy

Team:
    not svc
    D-pad differences

-I strongly advise in doing blue-pink-pink in order to make coins easier
    -After the last mt of the pink path, you must do a right hop, 2 left slides and a right slide before tricking in order to go tight on the next turn