1. Moderator Applications are open! Find out about this, along with a number of other updates, here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a supporter that wants to change your forum name? Just ask an administrator or moderator with a sparkly name!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Beto's been working hard updating the homepage, and has also made a new app for league results! Please check the announcement for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. You can click here to download a zip file conaining WCL and PL standings/schedules. We will update the file once we've managed to gather (if possible) all the data about IL and MKL.
    Dismiss Notice

Water Park

Discussion in 'Mushroom Cup' started by Ethan L, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Ethan L

Ethan L :-) MKU Staff

• MKBoards Supporter
    • MKU Staff
    Team:
    Fλ / EXO

Hiya there :3
    Water Park is one of the simplest tracks in the game; it's basically all lines. Because of this, the following combo is the fastest:

Kart/Character Combo: Super Heavy - Mach 8 - Slicks/Cyber Slicks - Speed Glider

Even if you use the wheel or d-pad, speed combo is the fastest because of how simple the track is. speaking of wheel and d-pad, this guide is written for stick controls, but most, if not all, of what you see here should be able to apply to motion and d-pad controls.

If you're a newer player, the intricacies this guide, and I guess all the others go into, may seem a bit overwhelming, but don't worry; these guides are written for the highest level of gameplay, with as much detail as possible. You won't be able to execute everything perfectly at first; just focus on taking good lines, collecting 10 coins quickly, and doing as many of the hops, slides, and softdrifts as you can. If you're wondering what hops, slides, softdrifts, or any other terminology used in this guide is, then check out Flc's guide to mk8 here: http://mkboards.com/forums/threads/flcs-as-complete-as-possible-guide-to-mk8.14940/

If you're a veteran time trialer, hopefully this guide will help you achieve whatever your goal is, whether it's world record, tops, regionals, or whatever.

Ideal Shroomstrat
    : 1-1-1
    A new strat found and used by K4I in the first 1:39 run ever makes the slides after the shrooms faster because of MK8's dumb physics. They gain something like .150 per run.

The Beginning
    There are 2 ways to do the starting hops here. Neither is faster, so just do whatever feels comfortable for you. For the first starting hops, start off by aligning yourself ever so slightly to the right at "go" then do 2 hops, right-left, into 5 slides, left-left-right-left-right, grabbing two coins along the way. Then start a drift to the right. Try to be as far to the left as possible when collecting the first coin; I find that this gives the best alignment for the upcoming turn. For the other starting hops, angle yourself as far the the right as possible at "go" then hop twice, left-right, as soon as possible, then slide five times a bit slower then usual, left-left-right-left-right, and start a drift to the right. What's next is, in my humble opinion, the hardest part of the whole track: The stairs! :eek: Driving the stairs without getting any bumps on all 3 laps is still the most inconsistent part of this track for me, and many others. Fortunately, the stairs are at the very beginning of the track, so they're easy to practice. Unfortunately, the timing is different on lap 2 and 3 because of shrooms. Fortunately again, a somewhat consistent way to drive them without bumps has been found, but we'll get to that later. On lap 1, generally aim to have your front wheels land on the front of the 3rd step.
    Start your drift in a softdrift and hold it until you're off the stairs, then hold your pad all the way to the left until you reach the corner of the fence on your right, then start a softdrift to the right again.
    Hold your softdrift until you hit the ground, then immediately release your SMT and hop left-left-right-right-right, starting a drift on the last hop.
    Start your drift in another softdrift to the right. Just after the anti-gravity booster, release your MT, slide left, and softdrift off the middle of the ramp. This strat can take time to perfect; it'll come with practice.

The Underwater Section
    Continue to softdrift to charge an MT, aim for the middle of the track, and release it as late as you can before touching the ground. Land in a softdrift to the left. Make sure you land in a drift, as hopping when you hit the ground loses around .030 to .050 and can screw up your alignment for the upcoming turn.
    To align for the next turn, release MT as soon as possible and do 3 slides, right-right-left. You can do 4th slide to the left if you are think you're far enough from the wall. It can be slightly faster, but you'll usually be too close to the wall to perform it.
    Pull wide as soon as you start this drift for a fraction of a second, then start sticking to stay as close to the wall as possible. you want to try to keep your front-left wheel in between the fence and the circular glass windows.
    Hold this drift until you charge a SMT, then release it as soon as you get it, and immediately start another drift to the left. Releasing the first drift will cause you to go a bit wide, so hold the pad all the way to the left at the beginning of the second drift to get tight again, then start sticking to charge another SMT. release it around here:
    When "sticking" try to have your character's head move back and forth as little as possible, as you lose time the more your character's head wiggles. Although the time lost is extremely small, it could make all the difference at a high level.

After releasing the SMT, you have two options. you can slide 6 times, right-left-right-left-right-left, or you can hop 4 times, right-left-right-left, then slide 4 times in the same pattern. After the slides, softdrift to the right to charge an MT, and make sure to release it right in between these two coins to collect both of them:
    Start a drift to the left as you release the MT, and take the next turn as tight as possible while still getting a coin from the group of three. If you only got one coin from the previous group of coins, then try to grab two here in the same way you would the first two. If you only have 4 coins at this point, then you should probably restart, as you won't be able to get another coin for an entire lap without going unnecessarily far out of your way. Release your MT as soon as you get it, but make sure you're not on the purple and green border when you release or you'll get weird air and lose a lot of time. Slide once to the right, then start a drift to the right. It's best to hold a softdrift to the right for the entire duration of this turn, but you can adjust your alignment if you deem it necessary. This turn is a bit weird in that you can't go very tight. You'll hit the offroad if you go tighter than this:
    You'll charge an SMT from that turn; release it on the light blue line just right of the middle of the track and hop four times, left-right-left-right, collecting 3 coins along the way.

The shroom
    Trick as soon as possible off the glider, then hold your pad up and slightly to the left, and aim to land on the cobblestone separating the orange and gray parts of the track, with your back two wheels adjacent to the back two ferris wheel poles.
    It's very important that you land as close as possible to this point, as it's easy to lose a lot of time when using your mushrooms if your alignment is off.
    Right before you hit the ground, hold down the drift button to get a left slide, then do a right hop and use your shroom right before you land from it.
    Then follow this hop pattern, left-right-left-right-left-right, collecting your final two coins along the way. Immediately after hopping 6 times, slide 5 times, left-right-left-right-left, then start a drift to the right on those goddamn stairs. You can add an extra slide before your drift if you please. Try to time your slides to drift off the stairs where you most consistently get no bump. To get as little air as possible off the stairs, drift on them here:

Lap 3 Differences

The Submarine
    On lap 3, when entering on the water for the first time in the lap, a submarine will be in your way. If you're on 1:41 pace or faster, to avoid it go a little bit wider on the second turn then usual, then continue to drive as you did on lap 1 and 2. If you're on a slower pace than that, then go tighter instead of wide.

The Shroom
    Don't perform the slide and hop before using your shroom on this lap; it's faster to use your shroom as soon as you hit the ground, because you'll finish before you can perform too many slides, which makes using your shroom immediately faster.
    To get a better understanding of how to drive the course then I could ever put into words, be sure to watch the current world record, by Domenico, who also helped a bit in the writing of this guide.

World Record by Domenico, 1:39.770.

That's all folks, good luck to all of you in your aquatic theme park endeavors :p

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    Apolo, Josh K, Ahny and 7 others like this.
  2. Domenico

Domenico

Finally finished this guide, sorry for procrastinating for so long :confused:
    If you have any questions about the guide or track, feel free to contact me on Skype @Ethan.Laing9, or just pm me here on the boards :)

-Ethan

DPad differences:
    basically none, it just makes this track super cancer for no reason. I dont advise in using it here
    -Sgt Guy

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  3. Doodle

Doodle

Team:
    Faction
    Same.

4. Ethan L

• MKBoards Supporter
    • MKU Staff
    Team:
    Fλ / EXO
    Same.

5. Harm

Harm Soul on Fire

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    idk if my post made sense

I meant what you had done up to the 2nd half of lap 1 back in October helped me improve so I'm glad you finished, maybe I can sub 1:41 now xd

Ethan L and Rhodechill2 like this.
  6. Ethan L

• MKBoards Supporter
    • MKU Staff
    Team:
    Fλ / EXO
    Ohh okay, glad to have helped then ;)

7. Accuracy

Accuracy

• Founding Member
    Team:
    Daddy
    i don't tt

8. Ethan L

• MKBoards Supporter
    • MKU Staff
    Team:
    Fλ / EXO

Harm likes this.
  9. Accuracy

Accuracy

• Founding Member
    Team:
    Daddy
    all i see is a fucking trashcan

Tzuzu and Ethan L like this.
  10. Sergeant Guy

Sergeant Guy

Team:
    not svc
    D-pad differences: basically none, it just makes this track super cancer for no reason. I dont advise in using it here

J likes this.
  11. Domenico

Domenico

Updated with newer strats if anyone's interested.

Ethan L, Apolo and Jordan like this.
  12. Tzuzu

Tzuzu Like late summer they slowly fade away MKU Staff

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    • MKU Staff
    Team: