1. Are you a supporter that wants to change your forum name? Just ask an administrator or moderator with a sparkly name!
    Dismiss Notice

What Happened to mariokartwii.com?

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by John256145, Mar 19, 2017.

1. John256145

John256145

Team:
    αωτ
    So, what ever happened to mariokartwii[dot]com?

I don't know, but either this site is its reincarnation, or I just have never found it before. Not too long ago I remember entering the site, without a problem. In fact, once finding these forums I thought it just moved to a new domain, so I entered the same username and password I had from there. Looks like that is not the case since I barely made this account right now.

Did the website get taken down? Are all of its posts gone forever?

2. Rollergold

Rollergold Rosa Boi Staff Member

• Administrator
    • MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    Team:
    Unity
    The site closed down at the end of 2016 or start of 2017. The domain seems to be hosting quite a bit malware so I would steer clear. This is different site not related to mkw.com.

John256145 likes this.
  3. John256145

John256145

Team:
    αωτ
    Thanks, I had never found out until now.

4. MKR Bob

MKR Bob I'm-a Luigi, number one!

• MKBoards Supporter
    Team:
    MKR
    I was also going to ask this question, can't believe it went on for so long!

(But that would explain why my old username doesn't work...)

5. General

General

Why did they close down?

6. Rhodechill2

Rhodechill2

Team:
    Formerly [iS] & Rated R★
    admins waned it shut down / couldnt afford it and then spam/malware went everywhere plus controversy

7. General

General

Why did the admins want to shut it down? Also, I'm sure they could have afforded it. Lots of people bought VIP subscriptions including myself, and now the website has gone done before my subscription expired.

8. Hawk

Hawk Staff Member Media Staff

• Founding Member
    • Media Staff
    the admins simply stopped caring for it and were not making enough money with the site. IIRC, someone bought the ownership of the site in ~2012 and did not manage the site too well. in mid 2013, almost all of the community moved to mkb because they did not like the direction mkwii.com was moving in. because they did not have that many users and therefore not a lot of profit, I assume that they decided not to renew the domain, and now some malware site seems to have acquired it.

General likes this.
  9. General

General

10. ~Maidvelia❤~

~Maidvelia❤~ I'm Breaking the Habit, tonight Staff Member Media Staff World Cup Staff

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    • World Cup Staff
    • Media Staff
    Team:
    Always and only U★
    Wiimmfi FC:
    4297-4674-3102
    It's no longer malware, it's just... dead.

Rex took it over after Brent W left due to havin-g kids (Rex used Brent's account). Rex didn't give a rat's ass about the site so he didn't renew the domain.

Then WarezWorm and Pirate Bay took over the site. After the malware intrusion... the domain is now just completely dead and up for grabs.

11. inviso

inviso

• Founding Member
    Wow, how can Misdre and I post a dozen times about what happened to the site and people still manage to get it wrong...

It was not "admins" that wanted it shut down, just the owner, who was Rex, not Brent, for the reasons KD stated. The domain name was NOT up. I kept a very close eye on it. In fact, about 2-3 months prior, Rex had renewed the domain name for an additional year. The only thing I can assume is that the piratebay site that purchased the site offered him a good enough deal for it, or there was some other personal issue that occurred and thus he decided to close it down. I had contact with him, but that contact ceased shortly before the site went down.

Regardless, him closing it was not expected and he never made clear what the reason was. He's since deleted me off Skype.

EBJustin, nGamer and ~Maidvelia❤~ like this.
  12. Christan

Christan

Team:
    aboob
    but if pirate bay took over then why did it take like a week for it to become their site :thiknign: